Monday, February 20, 2012

Petition to the church

OK...I have an issue with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I can take issue with us because "IRON SHARPENS IRON" and we are to help one another on this journey in being the voice, hands, and feet of God to witness of the only way to everlasting life...right? Good. Glad we are on the same page.

I have discovered recently, more in the last 5-10 years of the 24 years I have been a born again believer, that there is a disturbing trend among us. I work and minister in an environment that is not a "Christian" one to say the least. I work alongside Law Enforcement, and I live with the effects of it 24-7 365 since my husband is still a street Cop. In this world we have a "twisted" sense of humor I guess you could say. A self preservation defense mechanism that helps us cope with the onslaught of the worst of humanity we deal with. So, we try and find humor usually at the most odd moments and situations. There is that sarcastic lexicon that bonds Officers together and keeps their thankless, life threatening job palatable.

I say that to say this: When I go to the house of God  I am running to my hospital of sorts to get replenished, and in a way renewed by being taught by an anointed Pastor, to worship with like minded and the rest of "the part of the body" I am in. I go to get around Disciples of Christ who are working out their Salvation with fear and trembling as I do....learning and leaning on one another as my earthly support and training system. What I am finding recently is an increasing use of "humor" or sarcasm at one an other's expense that hurts my heart, and my spirit. No don't misunderstand...I know the dynamics of speaking i.e.; keeping an audience's attention, keeping people comfortable and engaged. But, when did it become acceptable and even encouraged and supported to use sarcastic humor that demeans others a way to teach? I have heard many, many speakers, Pastors, Professors. and other leaders in the church insult people, nationalities, countries, states, other churches, their staff, even church members! All at the attempt of "humor". I have even been asked by these said leaders to "lean to my neighbor" and repeat what they just said!! NO, NO, NO my beloved! Why has this worldly trend seeped into our pulpits and our pews?!

Are we not called to LOVE one another so that the world will see who Jesus is? That they will know us and HIM by our love for one another!! How does putting down anyone or anything just to make a joke display the love of God?! Me? I love humor, and I can be guilty of dry wit and a quick reply myself. I am known to have a great sense of humor and I do appreciate it. I consider it a character asset. However, having a good sense of humor and making people laugh and be comfortable with you, and enjoy your company does not require a derogatory repertoire of "Momma Jokes" or at the expense of a brother or sister. We are not to be like the world! Now I know I sound a little self righteous...but I make every attempt in my humor to keep it clean and above the belt. I know many friends and colleagues that are hilarious, but never at the expense of someone else.

You know, I might like this blogging thing after all, feels good to write it down. If you are reading this and I have offended you...I hope you will take some time to consider what I have said. Your feelings of offense may be the same conviction of the Holy Spirit that I had years ago when I thought I should join this trend in my humor, even though it made my heart grieve. After all, my Pastor was doing it, my elders were doing it...so I guess that makes it OK. Does it? My blog is not meant to offend but only to voice a sly deceptive and very effective tool the enemy is using to destroy the church from the inside out. I pray you consider it. What does scripture say?

1 Peter 3:8-12 (Message)
Summing up: Be agreeable, be sympathetic, be loving, be compassionate, be humble. That goes for all of you, no exceptions. No retaliation. No sharp-tongued sarcasm. Instead, bless—that's your job, to bless. You'll be a blessing and also get a blessing. Whoever wants to embrace life and see the day fill up with good, Here's what you do: Say nothing evil or hurtful; Snub evil and cultivate good; run after peace for all you're worth. God looks on all this with approval, listening and responding well to what he's asked; But he turns his back on those who do evil things.
I love ya, more importantly Jesus loves you! Stay vigilant my friends...the enemy is at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment